Tuesday 31 October 2017

DT Inspiration - Halloween ....

... Hi! It's Deborah here with you today - and it's been a while! We've been in Michigan for 5½ years now and today is our 5th Halloween celebration. Much to my daughter's delight, Halloween is HUGE over here. Tonight, she and her friend Alyx are off to downtown Northville to celebrate Halloween in style. It's a big event - the fire station rings its bell at 6.00pm and kids appear from everywhere - all dressed up. They visit the houses that have been beautifully (horrifically) decorated, and then at 8.00pm the fire bell rings again and all the kids seem to vanish! It's such fun!

There are no specific Halloween stamps in Bev's collection (hint, hint), but that didn't stop me. Just for a change, I've made a scrapbook page:


I used lots of different sets to create this page. I started off by stamping the chevrons in purple and orange at the top and bottom of the page. Next, I used one of the new stencils - Scattered Polka Dots - to create my own pattern for the page. lightly sponging dots in purple and orange. I added the date and then layered on some stars from Background Builders Seeing Stars, again in purple and orange. On some scrap white card, which I'd backed with Stick It double sided adhesive, I stamped the letters to make the word Halloween and embossed them with clear powder, and then carefully cut out each letter and attached them to the page. The word 'Happy' comes from the new Festive Sentiments set and I stamped it directly on the page. I also stamped some of the larger stars from Background Builders Seeing Stars, cut them out and coloured over them with Copics. I used several dies to cut the cobweb, the spider and the skeletons. I found a little vellum ghost, made from Uniko Style, on my desk that was left over from a Halloween card make.


The picture above shows my original plan for the page - I was going to add some words on the central panel. But I wasn't happy how it looked, so I played again and came up with this:


I was much happier with this layout and went to work building up the layers with lots of stencilling and stamping:




The photos are ones I took a couple of years ago. The skeletal couple kissing under the spider is from the Skeletons Alive display that takes place throughout October in Northville. The very scary scarecrow was on display at Three Cedars Farm - another wonderful place to visit in Northville. I layered the photos on design paper and glitter paper and added frames to match. The die cut skeleton has been covered in sparkle from a clear Wink of Stella brush - it really does look amazing in real-life.

Thanks so much for stopping by to see my Uniko post today. I had so much fun making this scrapbook page and really must do more. Stamps make so much more than just cards!! Here's another quick look at my Halloween page:


You can find full details of the project on my blog - Deborah's Gems. Bye for now! See you again soon.


2 comments:

  1. How wonderful to see someone else making a scrapbook page - always my first love. And it's a fangtastic spooktacular one too! Love the idea of the fire station bell setting the beginning and more importantly the end of festivities - no late night ringing of door bells where you are then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your scrapbook page is frightfully *grin* fantastic; talk about imaginative ways to use Uniko images (and yes, I caught that 'hint hint' about needing Bev to design Halloween ones for us). I've never done a scrapbook page; on my 'down the road' list. The fire station festivities sound marvelous; your daughter and her friend will surely have fun. I imagine the trick-or-treaters will be descending on our neighbourhood soon, even though the weather is cold and rainy. The people across the street have gone above-and-beyond in creating a spooky mansion...a wander to see all the details on my radar!
    ~carol

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Comments Appreciated